Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Arizona Canyons - April 12-20, 2011


Ordinarily, I write about the daily travails of my journeys. I have just this to say about my latest adventure. I chose to stay in my own backyard, so to speak, rather than some remote location in the third world. I decided to try and expand my horizons by doing something different with the shutter and lens: landscapes. I have traveled around the world in search of people in remote lands and of distinct cultures. It is not because I am drawn to how they live, but how they feel. It is what interests me in my life: my feelings in this life, not necessarily how I live or how I will live. There is always a piece of me I find there among these people. I learn about my life and my feelings when I find them, and the camera is the medium which helps me to connect me to them, and by extension, to myself. I discovered in the Arizona canyons that there is also emotional content in rock and sand, water and trees. It was a revelation. I found my feelings reflected or refracted with the light bouncing around these glorious landscapes. It is a new piece I found, and I know now I have to pursue it and integrate it in my life. Next stop: Iceland in September.

1 comment:

  1. Ralph Waldo Emerson said you could see the whole universe in your backyard...I spend a lot of time in my backyard seeing something new everytime...a study released from Harvard asserts that the average American only sees nature as the ten feet it takes them to get from their front door to the car and then it's just passing scenery either on the highway or the train....as Greg Palast has written, america the beautiful what a joke...accept for a few theme parks most American's experience landscape as a strip amll...Sarah Palin a grievous example of this as when she was mayor of Wassila she was repsonsible for a lot of urban development...so I applaud your effort to see what is local...it might take your farther than you might think...

    ReplyDelete